Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Product called Sun Block for Tires
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

BAC Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Product called Sun Block for Tires Moderators: LarryNCarolynShirk

Product called Sun Block for Tires  This thread currently has 1,263 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Richard Cooper
October 3, 2012, 2:47am Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Time Online: 29 days 23 hours 34 minutes
Camping World and other places sell a product called "Sun Block for Tires" (and other rubber surfaces).

Claims to control aging, cracking, and weather checking.  Protects blackwall tires exposed to harmful ultra-violet radiation.  Bonds to rubber to provide long lasting protection.  Says:  1) provides maximum protection from UV rays; 2) formulated to provide years of protection; 3) provides a like-new tire finish.  Also says, "Never buy another tire cover".

Has anyone ever used this product and is it as good as putting covers on your tires (parked in CG or storage)?

You have to prep the tire before you paint this stuff on the sidewalls of the tires (exposed to sun).

http://www.sunblockfortires.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Steve Huber
October 3, 2012, 2:54am Report to Moderator

2000 Marquis Tourmaline
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Time Online: 19 days 20 hours 50 minutes
Richard,
Not sure of this product, but proving it doesn't work could be expensive (new set of tires). Seems to me that covers are a simpler and sure way to protect tires during storage
Steve

Steve
2000 Marquis Tourmaline
CAT C12
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 1 - 10
Joel Ashley
October 3, 2012, 7:24pm Report to Moderator

Go OSU Beavers Class of '73. RVing 29 years
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Time Online: 58 days 7 hours 59 minutes
Most of what I've read on the subject indicates you should put nothing on the tires.  Some products can even make tires deteriorate faster.  Tires are built with chemistry that releases UV protection (anti-oxidant) to the surface as the tire heats and flexes on the road.  Applying some store-bought stuff, petroleum or silicone based, can interfere with the natural chemistry of the tire.  Just keep them clean, because dirt can interfere with rubber tires just as it can with your slideout seals, and some consider dirt to be rubber's worst enemy short of UV light.  Use tire covers if parked for lengthy periods exposted to sunlight, but don't use products that might seal the sidewall pores so built-in protective chemicals can't get to the surface.

Gerald probably knows more about tire chemistry than I do, and could perhaps explain it better, but I've related the gist of what I understand.

Joel

Joel and Lee Ashley
36 ft 2006 Monterey
C9 400HP Cat
Beaver Believers
Logged Online
Private Message Skype Reply: 2 - 10
Peter and Connie Bradish
October 3, 2012, 10:16pm Report to Moderator
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Time Online: 5 days 21 hours 54 minutes
We use 303. It's a UV blocker. Works well to make the tires look good & protect them. However, we replace tires every 5 yrs no matter what.

36 ft 1993 Contessa
Cummins 8.3 C 250hp now 300hp
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 10
Jerry Carr
October 3, 2012, 10:34pm Report to Moderator
06 Pat. Thunder
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Time Online: 11 days 1 hours 27 minutes
The 303 really is a great product for rubber and vinyl, it does provide a polymeric bonding(PDMS) coat that is primary for UV blocking agent. Some are better than others. You need to stay away from petroleum and silicone products.

The water based ones are probably the best for UV protection etc. They being 303, vinylex, Zaino brand Autoint brand. They all use PDMS as the priamry protectant which is not like the old silicone crap in the old Armour All. If you have ever seen a vinyl dash with a crack in it you can bet that it had Armour All on it!

Regards,

Jerry & Chris
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 10
Richard Cooper
October 3, 2012, 11:07pm Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Time Online: 29 days 23 hours 34 minutes
I think the wheel covers look so tacky especially on a Beaver.  I've seen some that have a square material hanging on each wheel well.  This material seems to match that which they cover the windshields and side front windows when the rig is parked in a CG.  This seems to look better than those white covers that I'm told are often blown off by wind or stolen too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 10
LEAH DRAPER
October 4, 2012, 1:41pm Report to Moderator
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Time Online: 13 days 5 hours 35 minutes
Richard,
If you think that tire covers look tacky on a BEAVER, you should take a good look at the wheel/tire covers that MCD produces.  They, in my opinion, are real classy and they don't blow off and are extremely easy to put on and take off.  I love them.

Leah

2008 Contessa (425 hp Cat) 38'
PT Cruiser/SMI braking
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 10
Jim Nichols
October 5, 2012, 3:59am Report to Moderator
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Time Online: 52 days 5 hours 2 minutes
We agree with Leah. We've had the covers since Sept. 2011. They are one of the first things we put on when staying more than one night. They were 395.00 plus shipping.

Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 10
Jim Skatzka
October 5, 2012, 11:26am Report to Moderator

BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Time Online: 1 days 22 hours 5 minutes
unforunatly mcd has quit making all exterior products!   sunscreens, tire covers, mirror covers etc.  those products will be missed by many.    jim s

2006 Patriot Thunder
Oscoda Mi. / Ft. Myers Fl.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 10
Jeremy Parrett
October 5, 2012, 12:59pm Report to Moderator

BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Time Online: 68 days 5 hours 7 minutes
Joel is correct.  Tires exude chemicals for self protection that is in the tire composition.  Just wash them with soap and water and let dry.  This from Bridgestone.

Jeremy & Jane Parrett  
2000 Marquis Amethyst C12 455HP
2011 MCS
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype Reply: 9 - 10
Robert Mathis
October 5, 2012, 1:19pm Report to Moderator
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Time Online: 107 days 15 hours 13 minutes
The problem with our tires is that they are actually designed to deteriorate. It Federal government requires tire manufacturers to compound the tires in such a way that they will not just lay there in the landfills forever like the old tires used to do. This is not a problem on most vehicles, since the tread will wear out with normal usage long before the carcass starts to fall apart, but with RVs, trailers and the like, we don't use them enough to wear the tread out. I don't believe that there is anything that you can put on your tires that will extend their lives beyond the 5-7 years we all take as the upper limits of use. BTW, we had a serious crash near my house last night on I-95 where a Class A rolled over. The news reports said "no serious injuries", but the picture showed the rig upside down, with the right steer tire blown.

2007 Contessa
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 10
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

BAC Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Product called Sun Block for Tires

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread