Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Anyone buy Costco's PSX2 Power Station air/jump
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

BAC Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Anyone buy Costco's PSX2 Power Station air/jump Moderators: LarryNCarolynShirk

Anyone buy Costco's PSX2 Power Station air/jump  This thread currently has 12,448 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Richard Cooper
November 15, 2012, 9:43pm Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Time Online: 30 days 2 hours 13 minutes
I didn't get enough characters to finish my title, but wondering if any of you bought from Costco the PSX2 Power Station with "high volume air compressor" and "vehicle jumpstart"?

I bought it and directions say it will take 72 hours to charge it up.  I plugged it in a few minutes ago and it says it is now fully charged.  Factory must have charged it I guess.  It did not appear to have been previously used, returned, etc.

I bought it because I realized my air compressor for my car is inadequate for my coach tires.  I sold that unit and bought this one for $70 from Costco.  The gauge says it will go up to 160 psi.  All I need is up to 120.  

This is what I got but I paid $69.99 plus tax and Amazon is much higher:
http://www.amazon.com/PowerStation-Hi-Current-Jumpstarter-Hi-Volume-Compressor/dp/B005CL1OPC

What do you think?  Is this adequate to inflate my tires (adding a bit of air) AND jump start my coach (or car) assuming the power station is charged?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Gerald Farris
November 15, 2012, 10:14pm Report to Moderator

Posts Per Day: 0.18
Time Online: 152 days 4 hours 4 minutes
Richard,
The unit that you are referring to will work OK for your car, but if you intend to inflate your coach tires with it, you had better not be in any hurry. While it will eventually inflate the tires on your coach, you will have a long wait.

When it comes to jump starting your car, no problem, however there is no way that it will start your coach if you have dead batteries. The best way to start the coach if the chassis batteries are dead is to use the boost switch, and start the engine with the house batteries. If all batteries are dead, you could use this jumper battery to start the generator and charge up the house batteries with the inverter, then use the boost switch to start the coach engine with the house batteries.

Gerald

2000 Marquis, C12
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 11
Keith Cooper
November 15, 2012, 11:51pm Report to Moderator

Laissez les bons temps rouler
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Time Online: 29 days 23 hours 17 minutes
Why not use the air coupler  referenced in the following thread (http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1344708891/s-4/highlight-rvgeeks/#num4) if you need to add air to your coach tires ?

Keith & Eileen Cooper
2000 Patriot Thunder
(425 HP Cat)
Titusville
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 11
Richard Cooper
November 16, 2012, 1:23am Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
I don't know how to do that, but need to.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 11
Joel Ashley
November 16, 2012, 6:25am Report to Moderator

Go OSU Beavers Class of '73. RVing 29 years
BAC Member
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Time Online: 61 days 4 hours 55 minutes
A few years back, I bought a similar unit from Costco.  They change models every so often, but the one I got has served me just fine.  As Gerald effectively points out, it's not up to the big demands of your coach, but comes in handy in other ways.  I carry mine in the toad, since that's where I'll likely need it most, especially given our fondness for backcountry forays;  I'd prefer not to get stuck out of range of cell phone and/or tow truck, and this multifunction device acts as a little insurance.  

One day this summer, I went to leave camp and found the toad's battery down due to an interior light left on the day before.  It cranked but wouldnt fire the cylinders.  The unit stepped right up and jump-started things just fine, then charged itself back up in an hour or two right off the 20amp park post outlet.

As Gerald alludes to, just because one of these little 12v pumps claims 160psi, their volume capacity drops significantly with each psi.  I have one of those "Truck" 12v pumps supposedly capable of 200psi, but in actual use the breaker on it overheats after 10 or 15 minutes, and after letting it cool and restart multiple times, it can take over an hour of constant attention to get near my 110psi tire needs - that's per tire.  A car tire at 32psi should be no problem on the other hand.  There are good 110v portable pumps out there you can plug into park or generator power (ex.: Viair 380), and they might be better choices for use on coach tires.  Several years ago I got a long hose and fittings at Home Depot that hitch to my auxiliary outlet, but there are limitations there too, keeping tank pressures maxed during the inflation process.

Joel

Joel and Lee Ashley
36 ft 2006 Monterey
C9 400HP Cat
Beaver Believers
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Reply: 4 - 11
Richard Cooper
November 16, 2012, 6:20pm Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
Quoted Text
If all batteries are dead, you could use this jumper battery to start the generator...

How would you do that with the jumper battery?

Also, if you were to buy something that would be adequate to jump start the coach, how many amps would it have to be?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 11
Gerald Farris
November 16, 2012, 7:43pm Report to Moderator

Richard,
Since the generator on your coach starts with the chassis batteries, you would just hook the jumper battery to the chassis batteries to start the generator.

If you bought a jumper battery that had enough capacity to start your C-12 Cat engine if your chassis batteries were totally dead, you would need to move it around on a dolly because it would be to heavy to carry.

Gerald

2000 Marquis, C12
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 11
Richard Cooper
November 16, 2012, 8:07pm Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
There is one jumper battery with a red and black terminal.  There are several chassis batteries.  Do you only have to attach the red and black terminal to any one of the chassis batteries?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 11
Gerald Farris
November 16, 2012, 8:41pm Report to Moderator

Richard,
Yes
Gerald

2000 Marquis, C12
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 11
LarryNCarolynShirk
November 16, 2012, 9:24pm Report to Moderator

Cream/Lt Blue 2001 Marquis Jasper/CAT C-12
Board Moderator
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Time Online: 42 days 2 hours 56 minutes
Richard,

There are only 2 chassis batteries, not several.  The other 4 to 6 batteries are coach batteries.  Attach your jumpers to the chassis batteries, either one of them.

Larry

RVing 44 years, and retired from RVing
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 11
Richard Cooper
November 16, 2012, 9:49pm Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
Thanks to all of you.  I am learning!  After I do it a few times I will be more confident.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 11
Richard Cooper
November 16, 2012, 9:59pm Report to Moderator

2001 Marquis with C-12
BAC Member
Just as you did with your toad and leaving an interior light on, I had to call for road service.  They used a device similar to this PX-2 to jump start my car in about 15 seconds.  I too could be out in the boonies and not have another car convenient.  I have a pair of 20 fit jumper cables in my coach, but never had to use them and wouldn't know how except I do know that red goes to red and is positive.  Black to black.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 11
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

BAC Forum    General Boards    General Discussion  ›  Anyone buy Costco's PSX2 Power Station air/jump

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread